I’ve looked through the TV guide and below is a list of five films that I think you should consider watching this week. All films are available on Free To Air TV.
1. Star Wars Episode VI: Return of The Jedi – Saturday 8:45pm ITV1. The greatest film ever made. The epic sci-fi comes to a romping end as the Ewoks join the final battle. The geeks among you will know that the film was for a long time going to be called Revenge of The Jedi at the insistence of the studio hence the poster above.
2. Under Siege – Sunday 10pm Channel 5. The film that The Expendables wanted to be. Steven Seagal does his thing as the cook with a past on an American warship while Gary Busey and Tommy Lee Jones are mental as the main villains.
3. Airplane! – Monday 7:15pm Film4. The film that showed that spoofs can be funny. I’m surprised to see this film on so early given the content of some of the jokes e.g. the pilot trying to get friendly with a kid on the plane.
4. X-Men: First Class – Wednesday 9:00pm Film4. This was a glorious return to form for the X-Men franchise. We go back in time to a younger Professor X and Magneto played by the magnificent James McAvoy and Michael Fassbender.
5. The Matrix – Friday 9:00pm ITV2. Pretty much the only watchable Keanu Reeves performance. The film is brilliant, one of the best sci-fi films ever made. The special effects were that good they largely stand up 15 years on. Wow, that makes me feel old.